Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Five More Reasons for Saugatuck
One more week until Saugatuck. My supplies for my Saugatuck Michigan trip arrived this week. One shipment came early in the morning via Fedex and one shipment came this afternoon from UPS. I'm so excited. I allowed Kayla my 15 year old to open my packages so she could share in the excitement and pop the bubble wrap - something she likes to do. Watercolor paper...12 bottles of Dr. Ph. Martins India ink...Rembrandt and Sennelier pastels. These are like a scapel in a surgeons hands, a ball in an athletes hands - tools of my trade. These supplies bring me closer to my Michigan painting trip and also closer to getting more paint stains on my hands. The paint stains mean I'm working. I've concluded that there are five more reasons to keep painting (and to take this trip):
5) I get to learn, practice and make mistakes - just like in kindergarten.
4) My girls (Kayla and Imani) get to see me living my dream and thereby will more easily live theirs as well.
3) God gave me a gift and I get to honor him by using it.
2) I also honor the memory of Suzie James - my ancestor who was a slave - by pursuing creativity which flows through my family's genes.
and lastly, drum roll please...the my top reason for the continued pursuit of this is:
1) I can paint in the Haas painting studio at 12:56 AM in my pajamas, with rollers in my hair and gospel music in the background. Life IS Good.
My latest creation - Apples for Lauren - an oil portrait commission for Mia is in this post. I started this many weeks ago, but got stumped on one of the faces. After much prayer and practice, I finished it.